Rachmad Imron from Digital Happiness shared his insight about the merits of releasing our PC games on bundles.
Steam is still the primary destination for all PC game developers to publish their games. Its huge community makes it a great place to grab the PC gamer’s attention. Moreover, Steam provides Steam Discovery feature to help developers gain the gamer’s attention, especially for indie developers who are on a tight budget for marketing.
But Steam is not only the choice. Another way to release your PC game and gain gamers’ attention is through a game bundle. With bundles, your game has a bigger chance to be discovered by gamers. Even more so if your game is on sale with other games that already have a big fan base or even AAA games.
There are some websites that offer bundles to publish your PC game. The biggest one is Humble Bundle that offers not only game bundles and store, but also monthly free game for their paid subscribers. It’s a win-win solution for both developers and gamers.
But, is it worth it to release your PC game on bundles?
Game Prime had a chance to talk with Rachmad Imron, CEO, and Founder of Digital Happiness about how to release your game on a bundle and how worthwhile it is. Their masterpiece, DreadOut was included in two bundles stock provided by Humble Bundle, Spooky Horror and most recently, Care Package.
What makes you interested to include DreadOut in a bundle?
Actually, we only included DreadOut to Humblee Bundle. We did this absolutely to expand DreadOut‘s paid users base.
Could you tell us what are the step-by-step to include a game on a bundle?
Usually, companies with “game bundles” offering except Humble Bundle will approach developers to include their games into their bundles. But for Humble Bundle, we started by setting up our store in Humble Bundle store. Humble Bundle probably has its own curation system when selecting our game to be included in the bundle.
So, we can’t suddenly request to include our game in a bundle. In Humble Bundle case, usually, they only include a title that already has minimum review score “Mostly Positive” in Steam.
What are the advantages to include our game in a bundle?
There are some advantages that we can get, such as:
- Our user base will increase significantly
- Absolutely will add more revenue
- If our game is bundled with an AAA or an III title, it will automatically boost our title popularity in the future. III title is a term for indie developer who has a big development budget (nearly AAA title budget) or an indie title that has a huge sale. Great examples for III title are Alien Isolation (SEGA) and Dead by Daylight (Starbreeze).
- Bundle is one of the great ways to increase user awareness to our title that was already released 3 years or more ago.
- Bundles is also one of the great ways to increase users’ awareness subliminally. Or we can also use that as a promotion strategy when we are going to launch a new title.
And then, what are the disadvantages?
If we continously expose our title through a bundle, automatically, it will make us less profitable for a long term. The title’s daily revenue will decrease if the title was already included in a bundle.
After you included DreadOut in two Humble Bundle packages, is it worth it? Considering the game price is absolutely cheaper than when you sell it regularly on Steam.
I think it’s worth it, but there are some considerations.
- I think Humble Bundle is the 2nd best choice to publish your PC game after Steam.
- DreadOut has been released more than 3 years ago.
- We still have DreadOut: Keepers of the Dark that hopefully can gain regular revenue in Steam.
- We will release a new title, DreadEye VR on the 28th of November. So, we need to boost gamers’ awareness with regular DreadOut. DreadEye VR itself is a virtual reality experience that allows you to become a “dukun” (Indonesian shaman). You can craft and combine ingredients as you practice an ancient ritual, and then open the gate to the spirit realm to communicate with the dead.
Maybe you can share some tips and trick for PC game developers who want to include their game in a bundle?
- Consider to include your game in a bundle if your title is old enough (minimum 2 years after its release date).
- Consider to include your game in a bundle from a company that has good credibility. Why? Because many bundle offerings out there are scams and the companies aren’t responsible. Even some of them do illegal Steam Key sales.
- Consider to include your game in a bundle if you have more than one title, or if you will launch a new title.
If we compare with taking part in Steam Sale, is a bundle still worth it?
So far Steam is the biggest revenue source for us. But for some uncommon cases like when we get curated in Humble Spooky Horror Bundle, it can give us revenue boost significantly.
For your information, DreadOut is one of the most successful PC game from Indonesian developers. Released in 2014, this game is already owned by more than 270,000 PC gamers (based on SteamSpy Data) around the world.
If we compare it with August 2017’s data, surely this bundle gives a positive impact to DreadOut. The number of owners has increased more than twice from around 113,000 owners in August 2017, to more than 270,000 in just around 3 months. This number is not included with Keepers of The Dark DLC’s sales, which is more than 150,000 owners alone, even when it has not been included in any bundle yet.
If we talk about Indonesian Steam/PC games, there are several game that very popular. In this article, we want to show you 5 top Indonesian Steam/PC games.
DreadOut is a third person supernatural horror game where you play as Linda, a high school student trapped in an old abandoned town. Equipped with her trusty smartphone and an SLR camera, she will battle against terrifying encounters and solve mysterious puzzles which will ultimately determine her fate.
If you haven’t play DreadOut yet, you can buy it through the link below.